Home / Nation / Canadian garbage to shipped back after fumigation of containers

Canadian garbage to shipped back after fumigation of containers

Canadian garbage

Part of the Canadian trash that officials say was illegally shipped to Manila years ago ended up in a landfill in Capas, Tarlac province, in this July 2, 2015, photo. (Photo from Metro Clark Waste Management Corp.)

MANILA, Philippines — The garbage illegally dumped in the Philippines will be shipped back to Canada as soon as all the garbage containers have been fumigated, according to Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr.

In a tweet on Saturday, Locsin posted photos of the containers, noting that 20 containers had already been disinfected.

ADVERTISEMENT

“20 fumigated, 40 GARBAGE containers plus to go. Now joint US-Philippine ops will shut down Subic and stop fumigation. Hey! Fumigators are not getting in your way,” Locsin wrote in a tweet on Saturday.

Locsin also urged the Department of National Defense and United States Embassy in the Philippines to continue the operations in Subic and not stop the fumigation process.

FEATURED STORIES

GLOBALNATION

GLOBALNATION

GLOBALNATION

On April 23, President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to forcibly return the garbage back to Canada if Canadian officials would not take their trash back on May 15.

READ: WHAT WENT BEFORE: Canadian trash shipment

However, the Candian government failed to meet the deadline and notified the Philippines that it would take the trash by the end of June.

READ: Canadian gov’t vows to repatriate garbage by June

ADVERTISEMENT

Duterte then rejected the offer and ordered the trash to be shipped back immediately. He also said the Philippines would shoulder the cost.

READ: Palace rejects Canada offer to ship back trash by end June

More than 100 containers of household garbage arrived in Manila from Ottawa, Canada between 2013 and 2014.

Gov’t not comatose

Meanwhile, following the shipment of garbage to the Philippines from Australia, Locsin assured the public that the government was not “comatose” as it would not repeat the same mistakes it did in the case of the Canadian trash.

“Another one but this time we won’t drop the ball as we did with the Canadian shipment which Canada agreed to take back but we never got back to it on that. Things are different now; government is not comatose,” Locsin said in another tweet.

The Foreign Affairs chief was referring to containers with garbage from Australia that were put on hold in Mindanao Container Terminal in Misamis Oriental.

Malacañang vowed that it would send the garbage back to Australia.

READ: Australia trash ‘offends’ Philippines

(Editor: Alexander T. Magno)

Read Next

LATEST STORIES

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

INQUIRER.net

About

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*