MANILA – The Philippine National Police will relaunch its Oplan Tokhang this January, Director General Ronald dela Rosa said on Friday.
In an ambush interview, Dela Rosa said he gave the “go” signal to police commanders this Monday.
The PNP chief assured the public that the “true spirit” of Oplan Tokhang, which is to “knock and plead,” will be observed in the relaunch of the anti-drug campaign.
The police force last year relinquished the lead role in the anti-drug campaign to Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency on orders of President Rodrigo Duterte.
The directive came just as the PNP faced criticism over alleged abuses and suspicious killings in the drug war, including controversial teen deaths. It has repeatedly denied it was behind summary killings.
Asked whether the “Tokhang” campaign will be less bloody this time, Dela Rosa said: “Bloodless naman talaga ang concept ng Oplan Tokhang. Ang ibig sabihin niyan ay to knock and plead, hindi patayan.”
He also warned policemen who will still be engaged in illegal activities, and told them to think twice before getting into trouble or wrongdoings, especially with their bigger salary pay.
“Kahit hindi nag-increase ang sweldo, hindi dapat sila gumawa ng katiwalian. Mas lalo na ngayon na walang rason para gumawa ng katiwalian. Hindi lang mabigat na parusa ang kakaharapin nila, kundi mas mabilis na pag-dismiss,” Dela Rosa said.